Col. Danielle L. Willis is the Commander, 93d Air Ground Operations Wing, Moody Air Force Base, Georgia. As commander, she leads 3 groups with over 2,800 Battlefield Airmen at 20 locations throughout the continental U.S. The 3d Air Support Operations Group and the 18th Air Support Operations Group provide Air, Space, and Intelligence, Surveillance, & Reconnaissance and weather expertise to plan, coordinate, and execute the supported ground commander’s scheme of maneuver. The 820th Base Defense Group provides rapidly deployable, fully integrated, highly specialized forces for active internal and external base defense.
Colonel Willis graduated from the University of Michigan and earned her commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1996. After completing Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, she flew as an F-15E Weapons Systems Officer before attending Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training. As a pilot, she has flown F-16s and served as a T-38C instructor pilot. She later served as an Air Liaison Officer supporting the Army’s III Corps. She has more than 2,000 flying hours and has conducted aerial combat operations in operations SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM and commanded the 717th Expeditionary Air Support Operations Squadron at Al Udied Air Base, Qatar, the Air Support Operations Center for the Afghanistan Theater of Operations.
Prior to assuming her current position, Colonel Willis was a student at the Air Force College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1996 Bachelor of Science, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Science, Engineering and Technology Management, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Okla.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2018 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. January 1997-May 1997, Special Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Detachment 390, Ann Arbor, Mich.
2. May 1997-September 1998, Student, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
3. September 1998-December 1999, Student, F-15E Initial Qualification Training, 333 Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
4. December 1999-December 2001, F-15E WSO and Weapons Assessment Officer, 391 FS, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
5. January 2001-March 2003, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
6. March 2003-May 2005, Student, F-16 Initial Qualification Training, 61 FS, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. May 2003-July 2005, F-16 Flight Lead & Chief of Wing Training, 51 Operations Support Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
8. July 2005-May 2008, F-16 Flight Lead, Assistant Director of Operations and later Wing Executive Officer, 52 Fighter Wing, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
9. May 2008-October 2011, T-38 Instructor Pilot and later Wing Director of Staff, 71 Flying Training Wing, Vance AFB, Okla.
10. October 2011-June 2013, Air Liaison Officer & Director of Support, 3 Air Support Operations Group, Fort Hood, Texas
11. June 2013-June 2015, Commander, 712 Air Support Operations Squadron, Fort Hood, Texas (March 2014-September 2014, Commander, 717 Expeditionary Air Support Operations Squadron, Al Udied AB, Qatar)
13. August 2015-July 2017, Deputy and later Chief, Combat Operations Division, Ramstein AB, Germany
14. July 2017-May 2018, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
15. May 2018-May 2020, Vice Commander, 93d Air Ground Operations Wing, Moody AFB, Ga.
16. June 2020 - Present, Commander, 93d Air Ground Operations Wing, Moody AFB, Ga.
Rating: command pilot
Total Flight Hours: more than 2,000
Aircraft Flown: T-34/T-1/AT-38/T-37/T-38/F-15E/F-16 (Block 25/40/50)
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Army Achievement Medal
Gallant Unit Citation
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award w/ Valor Device with four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant December 24, 1996
First Lieutenant December 24, 1998
Captain December 24, 2000
Major August 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2011
Colonel February 1, 2018
(Current as of June 2020)