A better understanding of vRED

  • Published
  • By Derrick Harris
  • Moody casualty assistance representative
I want to tell you a story of something that happens all too often. This story is not about just one person, but many who have gone through the same situation.

One day out of nowhere, we were faced with the loss of one of our own. That person was a leader, follower and wingman who had deployed many times into harms way.

When he was alive, he was a family man with everything in life. He was diligent in updating his vRED every time he had an addition to his family. He wanted to show his children he was thinking of them and made the decision to leave behind some benefits in the event of his death.

That day came sooner than expected when a drunk driver killed him on his way home from working a swing shift.

What he did not realize was, when he set up the benefits for his children, there would be legal red tape that his widow would have to go through to receive the benefits the father had left for them.

The widow would have to hire an attorney and request "Conservatorship" of her children's estate. Conservatorship must be granted by a judge who would then direct the widow on how she can spend the money that was left for their children.

The widow would also have to visit the judge every year for approval from the court system based on an annual budget.

The story may not be the happiest but this situation does happen to those that are left behind. If someone wishes to leave benefits to their family in the event of their death, it is easier to leave the benefits to a relative over the age of 18.

This will help to alleviate the worry of the logistics associated with the benefits that had been left behind.

In the event the individual that will be the guardian of your children is not trustworthy, there is the option to leave the benefits to a family member or friend who will do the right thing.

If the decision is made to leave those benefits to a minor, their guardian will have some say as to how the money will be spent even if they have to go through the court system.

Do not let this be the story told by family members. Talk to your loved ones about how to disburse your benefits in a way that will be most beneficial to those left behind.

For any questions regarding the information in this story, contact the casualty affairs office at 229-257-3265.