Col. Chris C. Richardson is the commander of the 347th Rescue Group, Moody Air Force Base, Ga. The 347th Rescue Group trains, organizes, and equips combat rescue forces to rapidly deploy worldwide in support of national security objectives and global personnel recovery and humanitarian relief operations. The group is comprised of four combat squadrons including Guardian Angel, HH-60, and HC-130 operators as well as dedicated rescue support totaling 416 personnel and 22 aircraft.
Col. Richardson entered the Air Force in 2000 after receiving his Bachelor of Arts and Commission from Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas. Col. Richardson is a Command Pilot with more than 1,700 flying hours in the T-37, UH-1H, MH-53J/M PaveLow, and HH-60G Pave Hawk. His flying assignments include Hurlburt Field, Fla.; Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.; and Moody AFB, Ga. He has deployed multiple times in support of combat operations in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and the Horn of Africa. Before arriving to Moody AFB, Col. Richardson attended SDE in Newport, R.I. and then served in the Joint Staff J7 in Suffolk, Va.
2000 Bachelor of Arts, Government, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas
2007 U.S. Air Force Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2009 Master of Business Administration, Trident University International
2012 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2019 Master of Arts, National Security & Strategic Studies, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1. October 2000 – October 2001, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 84th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. November 2001 – June 2002, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training-Helicopter, 23rd Flying Training Squadron, Fort Rucker, Ala.
3. July 2002 – June 2003, Student, MH-53J Pavelow Initial Qualification Training, 551st Special Operations Squadron, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
4. July 2003 – June 2007, MH-53J/M Pavelow Aircraft Commander, 20th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. July 2007 – May 2011, HH-60G Pavehawk Instructor Pilot, 66th Rescue Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. June 2011 – June 2012, IDE Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
7. July 2012 – July 2014, Staff Officer, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C.
8. August 2014 – June 2016, Director of Operations, 41st Rescue Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
9. July 2016 – June 2018, Commander, 41st RQS, Moody AFB, Ga.
10. July 2018 – June 2019, SDE Student, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
11. July 2019 – May 2021, Deputy Team Chief, Deployable Training Division, Joint Staff J7, Suffolk, Va.
12. May 2021 – Present, Commander, 347th RQG, Moody AFB, Ga.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with ten oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: 1,750 (475 Combat)
Aircraft flown: T-37, UH-1H, MH-53J/M, HH-60G
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2000
First Lieutenant June 2002
Captain June 2004
Major May 2010
Lieutenant Colonel February 2015
Colonel January 2021
(Current as of June 2021)