Chief Master Sgt. Justin L. Geers is the Command Chief of the 23rd Wing, Moody Air Force Base, Georgia. The 23rd Wing is home to the legendary “Flying Tigers” and consists of five groups, with 21 squadrons comprised of more than 4,000 Airmen, over 700 civilian employees and 71 aircraft. The wing provides A-10C Thunderbolt II aircraft for close air support, forward air control and combat support for combatant commander requirements worldwide. The 23rd Wing also provides combat search and rescue and personnel recovery capabilities through the employment of HC-130J Combat King II aircraft, HH-60G Pave Hawks, and Guardian Angel weapon systems. As Command Chief, Geers maintains a liaison between the Wing Commander and those who execute the mission, primarily focusing on the enlisted force and families. He advises the commander and senior leadership on mission effectiveness, professional development, military readiness, training, utilization, health, morale and welfare of the command’s personnel and takes actions to address shortfalls or challenges.
Chief Geers hails from Sparta, Michigan. He entered the U.S. Air Force in November of 2000 and attended the Security Forces Apprentice Course at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas graduating in March of 2001. Chief Geers started his career in the 509th Security Forces Squadron as a Response Force Member and has deployed several times to Iraq, Afghanistan and Jordan. Prior to his current position, he was the Senior Enlisted Leader for the 66th Security Forces Squadron, Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts. He assumed his current position in June of 2022.
2000 Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base (AFB), Texas 2001 Security Forces Technical Training School, Lackland AFB, Texas 2004 Airman Leadership School, Whiteman AFB, Texas
2004 Security Forces Craftsman Course, Lackland AFB, Texas 2004 Close Precision Engagement Course, Camp Robinson, Ark. 2005 U.S. Army Airborne School, Fort Benning, Ga.
2007 U.S. Army Ranger School, Class 07-07, Fort Benning, Ga.
2007 U.S. Army Advanced Airborne Course (Jumpmaster), Fort Benning, Ga. 2008 Evasion, Conduct After Capture Course, Fairchild AFB, Wa.
2008 Associate of Applied Science, Criminal Justice, Community College of the Air Force 2009 U.S Army Special Reaction Team Phase 1, Fort Leonard Wood (FLW), Mo.
2009 U.S. Army Marksman/Observer Phase 2, FLW, Mo.
2010 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education I, by correspondence 2010 Marine Corps Formal Schools Instructor Course, FLW, Mo.
2010 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, McGhee/Tyson Air National Guard, Tenn. 2010 U.S. Army Active Shooter Course, FLW, Mo.
2013 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force 2013 U.S Army Protective Services Training, FLW, Mo.
2013 U.S. Army Urban Mobility Master Breacher Course, FLW, Mo. 2014 T-11 Parachute System Jumpmaster Course MTT, Moody AFB, Ga.
2014 U.S. Army Air Assault, Sabalauski Air Assault School, Fort Campbell, Ky. 2014 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II, by correspondence 2015 Bachelor of Science in Social Psychology with Honors, Park University
2015 Executive Certificate in Leadership and Management, University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business 2015 Senior Noncommissioned Officer School, Maxwell-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2019 Master of Science in Management, Strategy and Leadership, Eli Broad College of Business/Michigan State University 2021 Joint and Combined Warfighter School, JPME-II, Class 21-02, by correspondence
2021 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation Course, The Air Force Judge Advocate General's School, Maxwell AFB, Ala. 2021 Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
1. December 2000-January 2001, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. January 2001-March 2001, Student, Law Enforcement Apprentice Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. March 2001-May 2002, Response Force Member, 509th Security Forces Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
4. May 2002-April 2003, Response Force Leader, 509 SFS, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
5. April 2003-May 2004, Integrated Commercial Intrusion Detection System Operator, 509 SFS, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
6. May 2004-December 2004, Security Controller, 509 SFS, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
7. December 2004 -January 2006, Fire Team Leader, 824 SFS, Moody AFB, Ga. (May-September 2005, Patrol Leader, Kirkuk, Iraq)
8. January 2006 -September 2009, Squad Leader, 824 SFS, Moody AFB, Ga. (June 2006-December 2006, Squad leader, Baghdad, Iraq/ January-June 2008, Tactical Security Element Leader, Kandahar, Afghanistan/January-July 2009, Squad Leader, Camp Bucca, Iraq)
9. September 2009-January 2014, NCOIC, Special Tactics Instructor/Writer, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
10. January 2014-September 2015, NCOIC, Operations, 823 BDS, Moody AFB, Ga.
11. September 2015-July 2016, Superintendent, Standardization and Evaluations, 820th Base Defense Group (BDG), Moody AFB, Ga.
12. July 2016-December 2017, Superintendent, Operations, 824 SFS, Moody AFB, Ga (April-October, Operations Superintendent, Muwaffaq Salti Air Base, Jordan)
13. December 2017-September 2019, Superintendent, Operation, 51 SFS, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
14. September 2019-July 2020, Security Forces Manager, 51 SFS, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
15. July 2020-June 2022, Senior Enlisted Leader, 66 SFS, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
16. June 2022-Current, Command Chief, 23d Wing, Moody AFB, Ga.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal Army Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with ten oak leaf clusters Combat Readiness Medal
Air Force Recognition Medal National Defense Service Medal Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal with three bronze stars Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal Korean Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border and three oak leaf clusters Basic Military Training Honor Graduate
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with bronze star NATO Medal
2001 Basic Military Training Honor Graduate, 324th Training Squadron, Fort Leonard Wood (FLW), Mo. 2002 Senior Airmen Below the Zone, 509th Security Forces Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
2006 Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 23d Wing, Moody AFB, Ga. 2008 STEP Promotion to Technical Sergeant
2009 U.S. Army Marksman/Observer Course Top Shot Award, FLW, Mo.
2010 Distinguished Graduate, Noncommissioned Officer Academy, McGhee/Tyson ANG, Tenn. 2011 Advanced Law Enforcement Training Division Instructor of the Year, FLW, Mo.
2013 Maneuver Support Center of Excellence Master Instructor Certification, FLW, Mo. 2014 Lance P. Sijan Award, 820th Base Defense Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
2014 British Military Parachutists Wings
2015 Distinguished Graduate, Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2015 Academic Achievement Award, Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter Annex, Ala. 2015 Master Parachutist Rating
2016 Canadian Military Parachutist Wings
2016 Staff SNCO of the Year, 820th Base Defense Group, Moody AFB, Ga. 2016 Security Forces Staff SNCO of the Year, 820 BDG, Moody AFB, Ga.
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant September 1, 2019
(Current as of 3 June 2022)