Colonel Stephen M. Harvey is the Commander, 23d Maintenance Group, 23d Wing, Moody Air Force Base, Georgia, home of the Air Force’s legendary “Flying Tigers.” The group provides safe, reliable and effective maintenance on 49 A-10C, 9 HC-130J and 13 HH-60G aircraft valued at $2.3 B. He leads over 1,800 personnel in one of the Air Force’s largest combat coded maintenance group and ensures their ability to deploy aircraft, personnel, and cargo worldwide to conduct forward air control, close air support, air interdiction, and both civilian and combat search and rescue missions.
Col Harvey enlisted in the Air Force and served as a Metals Technology Craftsman and Technical School Master Instructor. He graduated from Southern Illinois University- Carbondale in 1994, and received his commission through Officer Training School. He has held a variety of aircraft and munitions maintenance positions. He has commanded two Squadrons and served as Deputy Commander of an Expeditionary Maintenance Group and has held assignments in numerous Major Commands and Combatant Commands. Prior to assuming his current position, Col Harvey was the Chief, Legacy Weapons System Teams at Headquarters, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia.
1989 NCO Leadership School
1992 CCAF in Instructor of Technology and Military Science
1994 Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology, School of Engineering, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Ill. 1995 USAF NCO Academy (Distinguished Graduate), Kapaun AS, Germany
1997 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course (Distinguished Graduate), Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas 2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Maintenance Officer Intermediate Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2007 Master’s Degree in Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle University, Daytona Beach, Fla. 2010 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence and in residence
2010 Master's Degree in Military Operational Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala. 2013 Air War College, by correspondence
1. April 1997 - December 1998, Flight Commander, Munitions Processing Flight, then Flight Commander, Depot Munitions Flight, 649th Munitions Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
2. December 1998 - March 2000, Flight Commander, Sortie Support Flight, 34th Fighter Squadron, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
3. March 2000 - March 2002, Chief, Weapons Safety Division, then Director of Safety, 13th Air Force, Andersen AFB, Guam.
4. March 2002 - September 2004, USAF Exchange Officer to the Royal Air Force, Royal Air Force Lyneham, England
5. September 2004 - June 2007, Officer in Charge, 418th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, then Maintenance Operations Officer, 412th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, then Maintenance Operations Officer, 412th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, then Chief of Center Readiness, Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. June 2007 - June 2009, Commander, Detachment 2, 361st Training Squadron, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
7. July 2009 - June 2010, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 2010 - June 2012, Commander, 18th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
9. June 2012 - April 2014, Commander, 388th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
10. April 2014 - April 2015, Deputy Commander, 455th Expeditionary Maintenance Group, Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan
11. May 2015 - June 2017, Chief, Legacy Weapons System Teams (A-10, F-15 and F-16), HQ ACC/A4, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
12. June 2017 – June 2019, Deputy Commander, 18th Maintenance Group, Kadena AB, Japan
13. June 2019 – Present, Commander, 23d Maintenance Group, 23d Wing, Moody AFB, Ga.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 18, 1997
First Lieutenant April 18, 1999
Captain April 18, 2001
Major October 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel January 1, 2012
Colonel July 1, 2018
(Current as of June 2019)